Our sister organization is looking for Community Organizers!!
Position Announcement: Community Organizer, United for A New Economy (UNE)
Join the fight to take back our communities! United for A New Economy is seeking a Community Organizer to build power to fight for social and economic change in Colorado.
Position Location: Denver Metro, Colorado
About UNE: UNE is a membership-led nonprofit organization committed to building grass-roots power in communities around the Denver metro area to ensure that our economic and political systems work for all Coloradans, especially low income people, communities of color, and immigrants. UNE’s work is driven by community members and the problems that impact their daily lives. Members can identify issues of injustice, research potential solutions, and form committees to formulate strategic, collective action to create change that will benefit their families and neighbors. UNE utilizes various strategies including community organizing, popular education, policy development and advocacy, leadership development, and coalition-building to achieve its goals. UNE believes that meaningful change is community-led, and aims to organize communities and uplift the voice of marginalized people, particularly people of color, in-order to create a more just economy for all Colorado residents.
About the Position: As a community organizer with United for a New Economy, you will have the responsibility of organizing and working with neighborhood members to fight to keep our neighborhoods affordable, strengthen our schools, bring better jobs to our communities, and more.
Primary Responsibilities: A community organizer will:
- Help launch a new organizing chapter
- Recruit, train and equip community members to fight for justice and equity in the public arena
- Organize a listening process to uncover the most pressing issues facing the community
- Build powerful organizing campaigns to win change and advance racial equity and economic justice in the communities we work
- Participate in UNE’s racial justice trainings
Current openings for positions are in Aurora and Commerce City
Job Requirements: We are seeking a team player who is genuinely curious about people, has a love for justice, and is interested in growing the organization into a credible powerhouse for grassroots organizing. The ideal candidate should have at least 1 year of organizing experience in community, student or political organizations or campaigns. Comparable life experience will also be considered.
Candidates should also have:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (listening, speaking, and writing)
- Commitment to the social justice movement and passion for winning change for low-income people
- Ability to organize and build neighborhood-based community groups
- Ability to organize community members to take-action on multiple issues for local neighborhood campaigns as well as city and statewide campaigns
- Must be able to work independently and manage a team
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment and be detail-orientated
- Willingness to work occasional long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends
- Willingness to receive in-depth coaching and training in the field of direct action community organizing
- Ability to fundraise and sign up members for UNE
- Reliable transit
- Bilingual (Spanish) is strongly preferred.
- Residents from Aurora and Commerce City are strongly encouraged to apply
- People of Color strongly encouraged to apply.
- Competitive salary
- Great benefits: family health, dental, vision, holidays, vacation, employer-matched retirement.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send (1) cover letter/email, (2) resume, and (3) three work or school related references to
Melissa Pluss, Organizing Director:
Deadline to apply: October 22, 2017
UNE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community are Strongly Encouraged to Apply